GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato leaves eaten.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/60992-tomato-leaves-eaten.html)

Katra 12-05-2004 07:15 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , (Al Dykes)
wrote:

In article ,
Loki wrote:
il Tue, 11 May 2004 03:02:35 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Can anyone tell me how to control rats without poisoning?
Traps dont' work. Rats are too smart.

I had smart mice who could remove the bait without springing the
trap. So for a while I baited it but left it unsprung so they'd get
careless. Eventually I set the trap, tied the bait on to make it hard
remove, put the trap between two objects making a corridor that just
fit the trap width (to cut down the space for manouvering). That
seemed to work. Maybe that would work for rats.

My mice like bannanas so well that I haven't tried anything else.

i worked out a trap setup that works great;

i get a thin board about a foot long and no wider than the traps. In
the middle I pound the tips of two nails (maybe 2 inch nails) just
deep enough to stay. Then I cut the heads of the nails off with wire
cutters.

Put Two mouse traps back-to-back on the board seperated by an inch or
a little more with the nails in the middle and the trigger ends
oriented towards the center. I use a drop of wood glue.

Cut a piece of banana and impale it on the nails, The skin
keeps it on. Cock the traps and put in along a wall. Put another
piece of wood along side to make a runway with no way to avoid
the triggers.

If a mouse is wiggling it's little butt while it's eating the bait
he's going to get caught.

Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 12-05-2004 07:15 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article ,
"nswong" wrote:

Hi Katra,

I normally hate those things, but I'm also not afraid to just kill

the
rat when I find it in the glue trap so it won't suffer.

I don't like to kill animal, so I just wrap rat with newspaper and
throw it outside our fence to a bush, it will decompose to nothing
left within two months. The glue on rat will stick it with the
newspaper and make it unescapetable. I know this will make the rat
suffer, but as long as I don't see it with my eye, it's OK for me.
Think at it, most of my transplant are lost due to those rats, this
make me feel less guilty.

Rats here like to chew my transplant and even pull the transplant out
from soil.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

I agree...
The rats have made it difficult to transplant corn sprouts! :-P
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away for 10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Glenna Rose 12-05-2004 07:16 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

writes:

Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

PVC is available in just about any size you want. It's what is used for
water lines in most areas, from 1/4-inch to several feet. Decide what
size you want, then contact a plumbing supply store. If you have a United
Pipe & Supply in your area, they will have it for certain.

Another source would be a utilities contractor; perhaps you could get a
scrap or two. Trust me, they have bunches of scraps in various lengths
and diameters (diameter depends on the particular job). You might even
contact your local water department to get some ideas where to find some.

Another use for PVC pipe scraps and joints (tees) is cat climbers though
the tees and wyes in 8-inch or 10-inch size are rather expensive. The
straight pipe isn't too bad for price, but scraps would be better if you
can get them free.

Glenna

Glenna Rose 12-05-2004 07:16 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

writes:

Might be instinctive. :-)
Owl decoys work very well for pest birds, and pigeons!

Non-pest birds, also. LOL

A friend who loves her birds put a very realistic owl in her garden to
keep away pest birds. It was weeks before she realized why her song birds
weren't coming to the feeders. Shortly after she removed the owl, her
song birds returned to the feeders.

Glenna

Katra 12-05-2004 08:02 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article fc.003d094101c55e743b9aca00f3e59f55.1c55e86@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:

Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

PVC is available in just about any size you want. It's what is used for
water lines in most areas, from 1/4-inch to several feet. Decide what
size you want, then contact a plumbing supply store. If you have a United
Pipe & Supply in your area, they will have it for certain.

Thanks. :-)
I'll check the local home stores first, then go from there.
This does give me some ideas! The rats are getting seriously out of
hand. :-( Nasty little beasts!

Another source would be a utilities contractor; perhaps you could get a
scrap or two. Trust me, they have bunches of scraps in various lengths
and diameters (diameter depends on the particular job). You might even
contact your local water department to get some ideas where to find some.

Another use for PVC pipe scraps and joints (tees) is cat climbers though
the tees and wyes in 8-inch or 10-inch size are rather expensive. The
straight pipe isn't too bad for price, but scraps would be better if you
can get them free.

Glenna

Hee! I have been putting in more cat furniture.
I need to hit some construction sites for scraps.

There is a local govt. contract recycler, and we got some burlap covered
room dividers from him for $5.00 each. Giant scratching posts and
climbers. Those are out on the sun porch and the cats are slowly
destroying them, but it's well worth it for that price. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 12-05-2004 08:02 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article fc.003d094101c55e873b9aca00f3e59f55.1c55e92@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:

Might be instinctive. :-)
Owl decoys work very well for pest birds, and pigeons!

Non-pest birds, also. LOL

A friend who loves her birds put a very realistic owl in her garden to
keep away pest birds. It was weeks before she realized why her song birds
weren't coming to the feeders. Shortly after she removed the owl, her
song birds returned to the feeders.

Glenna

Placement is important... :-)
I breed pigeons for meat, so I don't want to scare off my breeding
stock! G

Owl decoys just go into the garden area, not anywhere near the gourd
bird houses. I've been getting good occupation of those by house wrens,
and those are death on garden bugs!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Glenna Rose 12-05-2004 08:02 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

writes:

Here the main spiders are black widow (both the passive and the leggy
aggressive types) and brown recluse. Our big worry is whether we can
get them all killed off before they take over, or eat us alive. My
tenant got bit by one in her bed yesterday. One reason I keep atropine
on hand is for spider bites. And if you're gone for 3 days, when you
come back the house will be chock full of black widow webs, to the
point that it looks like a movie spook house (no kidding). Hanging
dichlorvos no-pest strips helps esp. with the black widows. Doesn't
seem to bother the wolf spiders, either, tho we don't see many of
those anyway.

I wasn't aware there was more than one type of Black Widow spider. There
is another that looks very much like a BW but does not have that true
hourglass on the shiny black body. They are the ones that are more
commonly in buildings and are not poisonous (except the "normal" spider
venom that can cause blisters if they bite you). I've seen people
(including my own son) refuse to go in sheds, etc., thinking they were
BWs. BWs seem to prefer dark, moist places. Growing up in eastern
Washington, I had to deal with them whenever I went into the pump house,
scary stuff! However, that was the only place we ever saw them besides
dirt cellars. They weren't ever in the garden which I always worried
about when picking tomatoes (yes, fields full!) since that was dark and
moist in those vines.

Here in western Washington, BWs are not common but they are present. The
Brown Recluse is more common and that is the one that scares me! BWs are
not hiders but the BRs are, or so I understand it that way. I've not
knowingly seen one, but they are very much on my mind when I see a brown
spider I don't recognize. shiver

Glenna

Glenna Rose 12-05-2004 08:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

writes:

Excellent! I really like the idea of a plant that comes down through a
family for multiple generations. A rose is much nicer than our family
plant (an apparently immortal philodendron that goes back at least to
the early 1960s).

I have two yellow rose bushes that I refer to as my grandma roses. When I
was a little girl, my paternal grandmother had one on each side of her
front steps. One summer, when my maternal grandmother was visiting her,
she got a start. After I was married, I got a start from my maternal
grandmother. Hence the name grandma roses, they came from both of my
grandmothers. I've moved the bushes twice now (when I moved). I have no
idea what kind they are. Though they don't last long, they are one of the
most fragrant roses ever.

They grow quite high though are not climbers and bloom mostly in clusters.
My other "family plant" is my lilacs. When my grandparents visited
Arkansas one year, they dug up a lilac bush from my grandfather's home
place. In 1976, I brought starts home to my house. Those also have been
moved twice with me. I call them my "Arkansas lilacs" because of where
they came from. They, too, are extremely fragrant.

It's cool that friends have asked for starts from both the roses and the
lilacs.

Many years ago, I had a Christmas Catus I took the start from from my
grandmother's plant (which I now have and is at least fifty years old).
For years, that little plant lived in water only, bloomed beautifully
twice a year, plant a very healthy green. Then during one of my
grandmother's visits, she noticed it wasn't in soil. She told me I better
plant it because it can't live in water (though it had for over ten years,
first in an apartment and then two houses!). Yup, you guessed it, the
plant died. No kidding, within two months, it was unquestionably dead. I
always said she killed it. It was happy in its ignorance that it needed
soil and flourished in the water.

Glenna
who moved her outdoor plants as well
as her furniture when she moved
(of course working for a utilities
contractor and having access to
backhoes helped a lot!)

Katra 12-05-2004 08:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article fc.003d094101c55e933b9aca00f3e59f55.1c55eb1@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:

[...]

They (brown recluse) are common around here... especially when I move
furniture to clean the floors properly. ;-)

They are milk chocolate brown, flat finish, not shiny, and with very
pointed toes. Look on the cephalothorax (upper back) for a violin shaped
marking. That is why they are also known as "violin spiders".

K. (from Central Texas)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

nswong 12-05-2004 09:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

Hi Rez,

For many plants, especially trees (and roses really are a sort of
small tree) that's true. Sometimes we fuss over them TOO much and
perhaps get things out of balance, when leaving well enough alone
would be better.

I do believe helping a short term to give it time to develop the
*skill?* to survive are OK, but not long term protection from me. If
it does not cope with the environment for a given period, it's it
choice to go, so let it go. I better spend my time on something else.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Larry Blanchard 12-05-2004 11:11 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article ,
says...
I use coffee cans half buried around my tomatoes. Seems to stop
both hornworms and cutworms, and I suspect slugs as well. Also
handy for watering - just fill the can :-).

Doesn't the can constrain the roots ? They can't expand
horizontally until they get below the edge of the can.

Doesn't seem to be a problem. I bury the tomato plant, as
recommended, when transplanting it into the garden. So the
existing roots are near, if not below, the bottom of the can
from the beginning.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Loki 13-05-2004 02:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

il Wed, 12 May 2004 00:39:44 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

Just remember to have enough room so the trap can flick it's arm (or
whatevver it's called)
--
Cheers,

Loki 13-05-2004 02:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

il Wed, 12 May 2004 00:43:14 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I agree...
The rats have made it difficult to transplant corn sprouts! :-P
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away for 10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

Gee where do you guys live? I have yet to *see* a rat. Let alone need
to kill one. yuck what a topic....
--
Cheers,

Katra 13-05-2004 08:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Wed, 12 May 2004 00:39:44 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

Just remember to have enough room so the trap can flick it's arm (or
whatevver it's called)

I know what you mean. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 13-05-2004 08:04 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Wed, 12 May 2004 00:43:14 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I agree...
The rats have made it difficult to transplant corn sprouts! :-P
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away for 10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

Gee where do you guys live? I have yet to *see* a rat. Let alone need
to kill one. yuck what a topic....

Central Texas, suburbs...

I have chickens, they are attracted to the grain feed.
There is nothing I can do about that. I just have to find more efficient
ways to kill the little SOB's. They are very prolific.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Loki 13-05-2004 01:02 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

il Thu, 13 May 2004 01:48:59 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Central Texas, suburbs...

I have chickens, they are attracted to the grain feed.
There is nothing I can do about that. I just have to find more efficient
ways to kill the little SOB's. They are very prolific.

I wonder if they make the pill for rats. Biocontrol. :-)
--
Cheers,

Rez 14-05-2004 06:02 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:

Here the main spiders are black widow (both the passive and the leggy
aggressive types) and brown recluse. Our big worry is whether we can

I wasn't aware there was more than one type of Black Widow spider. There

I wasn't either, til I saw these. They are longer-legged, smaller
bodied, run like the wind, and will jump right at you if disturbed. If
it's the same species, wonder if it might be a variation induced by
climate? Because I never saw this type in Montana, only in SoCal.

is another that looks very much like a BW but does not have that true
hourglass on the shiny black body. They are the ones that are more
commonly in buildings and are not poisonous (except the "normal" spider

All of these that I've examined (after a suitable squishing :) have a
red or yellow hourglass on the belly.

venom that can cause blisters if they bite you). I've seen people
(including my own son) refuse to go in sheds, etc., thinking they were
BWs. BWs seem to prefer dark, moist places. Growing up in eastern
Washington, I had to deal with them whenever I went into the pump house,
scary stuff! However, that was the only place we ever saw them besides

Here they get into everything. They prefer the dark moist spots, and
being under furniture, eaves, etc. but will web up just about any
undisturbed spot in a matter of days, to the point of looking like a
spook house. Under beehives is their favourite place in the whole wide
world, as I can attest from several years working for a beekeeper :)

Here in western Washington, BWs are not common but they are present. The

They weren't common in Montana either -- you could count on finding
some in certain window wells, but hardly ever anywhere else. Here,
they're everywhere, and far less fussy about where they live!

Brown Recluse is more common and that is the one that scares me! BWs are
not hiders but the BRs are, or so I understand it that way. I've not
knowingly seen one, but they are very much on my mind when I see a brown
spider I don't recognize. shiver

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5...l/recluse.html
some good closeup photos.

What we have are definitely brown recluse.

We also get a lot of long-leggers that get into everything but are not
aggressive, and are mostly just a nuisance because they'd much rather
come in the house and eat each other than stay outdoors and eat bugs!

OTOH, I've never seen a proper daddy-long-legger here (the kind that
just run around and don't make webs, and shed their legs at a touch;
I'm not sure they're actually a spider per se). Our long-legged spider
is similar, but is not what I grew up calling a daddy-long-legger!

~REZ~

Rez 14-05-2004 06:03 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
Owl decoys work very well for pest birds, and pigeons!

We have two real live owls in residence, and they don't seem to
discourage the starlings much! :(

~REZ~

Rez 14-05-2004 06:04 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

That sounds like a good idea. You might try the pinch traps for
gophers with a bait that take some work to get (to make sure the trap
is triggered), and put it inside a piece of 4" sewer pipe -- it's
cheap, durable, yet easy to cut (try a heavy old serrated knife, the
kind they advertise as being able to cut frozen stuff and tin cans).

~REZ~

Rez 14-05-2004 06:04 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
Just remember to have enough room so the trap can flick it's arm (or
whatevver it's called)

I know what you mean. :-)

That's why I mentioned the gopher traps, they don't need anywhere
near as much room.

~REZ~

Rez 14-05-2004 06:06 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
That is why I have to be SO careful with poison baits. I use the bar
bait and put it into suet cages so the rats cannot carry it off, and
make sure it stays under cover with crumb control.

Try a livetrap, baited with dog food (put the dog food into a glass
jar with a metal lid with holes punched in it, so the rats can smell
it real well but can't eat it), the kind that can catch several rats
per load. The smell of rats attracts more rats, especially if one dies
and the rest start eating it. (Same goes for mice.)

You can get livetraps made of sheet metal which removes temptation
from birds (since they can't see into it). Tomahawk Trap Co. might
make some, not sure. I have some of their wire traps that I use for
pest rabbits.

~REZ~

Glenna Rose 14-05-2004 05:05 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

writes:
In article ,
Katra wrote:
Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

That sounds like a good idea. You might try the pinch traps for
gophers with a bait that take some work to get (to make sure the trap
is triggered), and put it inside a piece of 4" sewer pipe -- it's
cheap, durable, yet easy to cut (try a heavy old serrated knife, the
kind they advertise as being able to cut frozen stuff and tin cans).

A pruning saw works well also as does a saber saw with a medium blade
(drill a large hole first to start the blade).

Glenna

Linda Barsalou 14-05-2004 07:05 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

The mice kept getting into stuff in our garage. After
getting a couple with a regular trap they got too smart and
avoided them, so I tried a water trap and it worked very
well.

I used a 5 gallon bucket with a shallow pot saucer filled
with seeds floating on the top of the water. We made a way
for them to get to the top of the bucket and we kept the
water at a level that was just a bit to deep for them to
climb out. It worked very efficiently and a dead mouse in
the bottom of the water did not keep others from trying.
One day I found three of them dead in it. They just
couldn't resist trying for that seed. We got rid of the
whole family apparently, because I have not seen any for
quite a while now.

Linda

Rez wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to control rats without poisoning?
Traps dont' work. Rats are too smart.
Or get a Jack Russell terrier and don't feed it, so it has to hunt.
They're good rat dogs and have no qualms about eating rats. :)

I've considered that...
Will they eat chickens?
Most of the rats are in the henyard which is why they are here.
Plenty of food. :-(

Yeah, a dog will eat chickens too :( Cats generally leave chickens
alone (at least after their first good pecking :) but don't seem to be
much on killing rats.

Rats can survive on just manure for food, but they'll eat about
anything that doesn't eat them first.

That is why a water trap would not work unless I dumped water containers
every night. We do find them drowned in the emu's water buckets now and
then!

Rats are very curious and like to climb up into things, so even if
there is other water around, they still get into buckets and drown
(awww, so sad :) Also, dog food makes a great lure for rats and mice
-- see if you can rig something where they can smell it and will fall
into the water while trying to get to the dog food.

~REZ~

Katra 14-05-2004 07:06 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Thu, 13 May 2004 01:48:59 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

Central Texas, suburbs...

I have chickens, they are attracted to the grain feed.
There is nothing I can do about that. I just have to find more efficient
ways to kill the little SOB's. They are very prolific.

I wonder if they make the pill for rats. Biocontrol. :-)

That would be nice...

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 14-05-2004 07:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
Placement is important... :-)
I breed pigeons for meat, so I don't want to scare off my breeding
stock! G

g When I keep pigeons (for dog training), every day when I feed them
I sing "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" to remind them how lucky they
are to be cage pigeons, and not park pigeons :) I've had one reach 14
years old!!

~REZ~

That's mean! lol

I love my pigeons, and not just for lunch.
Mine are free-range.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 14-05-2004 07:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article k.net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away for 10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

LOL! Not me, I've had enough stuff destroyed by rats, mice, and
rabbits, that it doesn't bother me one bit to watch 'em suffer :)

cringe I hate rats, but I can't stand to watch any animal suffer...

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

Works for me :)

Quick too.

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

Probably as good a control method as any.

Keeping tabs on nesting areas is imperative!
They mature quickly too, but I let a nest be used before I clear it out,
so that way I can kill the babies rather than having them have them
someplace I'd not be able to access.

Fortunately where I am now, there don't seem to be any rats, tho there
are mice in droves (they demolished my cauliflower, and those were BIG
plants, almost 3 feet tall) and of course the Starving Attack Rabbits.
I encourage "safe" snakes (tho I've got 14 rattlers in my trophy box,
in just two years time!) and just picked up a couple feral cats who
both have litters, hopefully enough kittens will not get eaten by owls
to grow up and become good mousers. You can't grow cats fast enough
around here... :(

You are lucky!

Tho beware of snakes around chickens, I have personally SEEN gopher
snakes rob nests for eggs, and even fight the hen for the eggs! and
snakes can CLIMB!

~REZ~

Texas rat snakes do that too. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 15-05-2004 08:04 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article k.net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
Owl decoys work very well for pest birds, and pigeons!

We have two real live owls in residence, and they don't seem to
discourage the starlings much! :(

~REZ~

They sleep in the trees during the day. ;-)

Owl decoys are out in the open, and you are supposed to make sure that
they cast a shadow. That is how the local wildlife rescue folks told me
to use them.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 15-05-2004 08:04 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article .net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
Hmmmm... I wonder if I can get PVC pipes big enough to slide rat traps
into? That would protect my birds.

That sounds like a good idea. You might try the pinch traps for
gophers with a bait that take some work to get (to make sure the trap
is triggered), and put it inside a piece of 4" sewer pipe -- it's
cheap, durable, yet easy to cut (try a heavy old serrated knife, the
kind they advertise as being able to cut frozen stuff and tin cans).

~REZ~

I'm going to have to look in to gopher traps...
The rats have dug a series of tunnels under the rocks in the dog kennel.
:-( I can't really get to them without tearing out the rocks and they
will just all run away.

I could put gopher traps at the entrances of the burrows! eg I never
thought of that.

Thanks! :-)

Those are also less likely to catch pigeons if I choose to use them out
in the open.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 15-05-2004 08:05 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
That is why I have to be SO careful with poison baits. I use the bar
bait and put it into suet cages so the rats cannot carry it off, and
make sure it stays under cover with crumb control.

Try a livetrap, baited with dog food (put the dog food into a glass
jar with a metal lid with holes punched in it, so the rats can smell
it real well but can't eat it), the kind that can catch several rats
per load. The smell of rats attracts more rats, especially if one dies
and the rest start eating it. (Same goes for mice.)

You can get livetraps made of sheet metal which removes temptation
from birds (since they can't see into it). Tomahawk Trap Co. might
make some, not sure. I have some of their wire traps that I use for
pest rabbits.

~REZ~

Live traps don't work well for Norway rats...

They are too smart. Been there, done that, caught a few youngsters but
no adults. :-(

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Rez 16-05-2004 05:06 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Linda Barsalou wrote:
The mice kept getting into stuff in our garage. After
getting a couple with a regular trap they got too smart and
avoided them, so I tried a water trap and it worked very
well.

Another method I forgot about that works and will absolutely prevent
escapes, is to take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, fill it half to
2/3rds full of water, put a rat-sized hole in the lid, then smear
peanut butter or molasses on the inside of the lid near the edge, so
they have to really reach for it and lose their grip on the edge of
the hole, thus fall in and drown.

I probably drowned a couple hundred rats just in an open bucket one
year, and it wasn't even the only water around, just somewhere
curious rats liked to snoop in. Evidently they never get wise to it.

~REZ~

Rez 16-05-2004 05:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:
g When I keep pigeons (for dog training), every day when I feed them
I sing "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" to remind them how lucky they
are to be cage pigeons, and not park pigeons :) I've had one reach 14
years old!!

That's mean! lol

Thank you :)

I love my pigeons, and not just for lunch.
Mine are free-range.

I like pigeons, they're cool birds. We have a few dove here but no
pigeons. I've thought about starting a colony, at least once I get the
shop building closed off enough that they don't decide to live in
there!

Being lazy, I usually feed my pigeons and chickens (when I have 'em,
none right now) dog food, same as the dogs eat. Aside from really good
eggshells (yes, even tho they are thick, the chicks have no trouble
getting out) the birds get so they won't eat regular bird food unless
they're starving. In fact when I toss 'em grain, they'll get all
excited the way birds do, rush over to the feed -- stop short and look
at me like "What's this crap? What are you trying to push on us??!"

~REZ~

Rez 16-05-2004 05:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
Live traps don't work well for Norway rats...
They are too smart. Been there, done that, caught a few youngsters but
no adults. :-(

Norway rats are probably smarter than roof rats, which is what we had
where I used to live. Roof rats are so bold they run around in packs
in broad daylight. They're not very big tho, a little smaller than
typical "pet rats".

~REZ~

Katra 16-05-2004 06:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Linda Barsalou
wrote:
The mice kept getting into stuff in our garage. After
getting a couple with a regular trap they got too smart and
avoided them, so I tried a water trap and it worked very
well.

Another method I forgot about that works and will absolutely prevent
escapes, is to take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, fill it half to
2/3rds full of water, put a rat-sized hole in the lid, then smear
peanut butter or molasses on the inside of the lid near the edge, so
they have to really reach for it and lose their grip on the edge of
the hole, thus fall in and drown.

I probably drowned a couple hundred rats just in an open bucket one
year, and it wasn't even the only water around, just somewhere
curious rats liked to snoop in. Evidently they never get wise to it.

~REZ~

Oh, I LIKE this! :-)

I need to go and get some buckets with lids!!!!!!

Thanks!
K. (who is really going to try this one right away!)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 16-05-2004 06:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:
g When I keep pigeons (for dog training), every day when I feed them
I sing "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" to remind them how lucky they
are to be cage pigeons, and not park pigeons :) I've had one reach 14
years old!!

That's mean! lol

Thank you :)

snicker

I love my pigeons, and not just for lunch.
Mine are free-range.

I like pigeons, they're cool birds. We have a few dove here but no
pigeons. I've thought about starting a colony, at least once I get the
shop building closed off enough that they don't decide to live in
there!

Yeah, they will nest anywhere that provides convenient shelving, and it
can get rather poopy.

Being lazy, I usually feed my pigeons and chickens (when I have 'em,
none right now) dog food, same as the dogs eat.

That sounds expensive!
Sure won't hurt them tho'.
Chicken and pigeon feed is about $7.00 for 50 lbs.
Dog food is twice that...

Most of my pigeons eat pretty much for free since they fly free, but
they do gather around for the morning scratch feedings in the henyard.

Aside from really good
eggshells (yes, even tho they are thick, the chicks have no trouble
getting out) the birds get so they won't eat regular bird food unless
they're starving. In fact when I toss 'em grain, they'll get all
excited the way birds do, rush over to the feed -- stop short and look
at me like "What's this crap? What are you trying to push on us??!"

Hee! ;-)
I don't blame them. Dog food is higher in protien!

K.

~REZ~

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 16-05-2004 06:07 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:

In article , Katra
wrote:
Live traps don't work well for Norway rats...
They are too smart. Been there, done that, caught a few youngsters but
no adults. :-(

Norway rats are probably smarter than roof rats, which is what we had
where I used to live. Roof rats are so bold they run around in packs
in broad daylight. They're not very big tho, a little smaller than
typical "pet rats".

~REZ~

These are as large or slightly larger than pet rats, and they are pretty
smart and bold. Mostly nocturnal, they don't always run away right away
when I find them, which is why I can hand-kill from time to time.

I think they are catching on tho'. :-( It's been harder for me to
capture them lately.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Rez 17-05-2004 05:17 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:
I probably drowned a couple hundred rats just in an open bucket one
year, and it wasn't even the only water around, just somewhere
curious rats liked to snoop in. Evidently they never get wise to it.

Oh, I LIKE this! :-)
I need to go and get some buckets with lids!!!!!!
K. (who is really going to try this one right away!)

I never even bothered with the lid part, but if you have a need to
bait 'em to the bucket, it makes a handy place to smear the bait!

~REZ~

Rez 17-05-2004 05:17 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:
I like pigeons, they're cool birds. We have a few dove here but no
pigeons. I've thought about starting a colony, at least once I get the
shop building closed off enough that they don't decide to live in
there!

Yeah, they will nest anywhere that provides convenient shelving, and it
can get rather poopy.

It already does with just sparrows nesting in there.

Being lazy, I usually feed my pigeons and chickens (when I have 'em,
none right now) dog food, same as the dogs eat.

That sounds expensive!
Sure won't hurt them tho'.
Chicken and pigeon feed is about $7.00 for 50 lbs.
Dog food is twice that...

But they eat half as much of it, and they do better. My 14 year old
pigeon was like a young bird and was fixin' to break the world record
(18 yrs; lost him cuz one of the dogs got out and got into the cage :(
and I had yard chickens that made it to 12 years old!

Most of my pigeons eat pretty much for free since they fly free, but
they do gather around for the morning scratch feedings in the henyard.

Why turn down free meals? :)

In fact when I toss 'em grain, they'll get all
excited the way birds do, rush over to the feed -- stop short and look
at me like "What's this crap? What are you trying to push on us??!"

Hee! ;-)
I don't blame them. Dog food is higher in protien!

And apparently far more appealing!

~REZ~

Rez 17-05-2004 05:18 PM

tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
Norway rats are probably smarter than roof rats, which is what we had
where I used to live. Roof rats are so bold they run around in packs
in broad daylight. They're not very big tho, a little smaller than
typical "pet rats".

These are as large or slightly larger than pet rats, and they are pretty
smart and bold. Mostly nocturnal, they don't always run away right away
when I find them, which is why I can hand-kill from time to time.

I just heard of another type of rat killing device, it's like a bug
zapper only for rodents; you put it in a piece of sewer pipe. Person
who told me about it said it works really well, but didn't know where
to get one.

I think they are catching on tho'. :-( It's been harder for me to
capture them lately.

Problem is, when you can only catch the dumb ones, it lets the smart
ones breed :(

~REZ~

Ray Drouillard 18-05-2004 08:04 AM

tomato leaves eaten....

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"nswong" wrote:

[...]

If you want to do things by hand, one of those propane weed burners
ought to do well -- and you won't have to touch the animal.

Ray